Happy New Year, Thrifters!
We have been away for about a week, so we haven't done much thrifting, which was a rare reprieve for us hardcore sale-ers. We spent New Year's on Catalina Island, and although we found one thrift store on the island, it was closed... very closed (as in closed for good and completely empty). Since we've been back from our vacation on Catalina, we've been taking it easy, but I did manage to check out the thrift stores in Ventura this past Friday. I passed up some decent stuff, and I even saw a Hudson Bay blanket in the back of one of the stores, but it wasn't on the floor, and it was labeled at $60, which is sadly above what we'd be willing to pay, but I did end up coming home with this:
One of these Dansk mixing bowls was one of our early sales as Etsy sellers, and finding another one this new year reminds us of how far we've come since we began in Massachusetts several years ago. These mixing bowls are impressively durable, and stylish too, and even though they are made of melamine they retain value because of their style. The thrift store we purchased this large yellow bowl from used some sort of grease pencil to mark the price right on the inside of the bowl, and Julia had a hell of a time trying to clean it off; finally after soap, baking soda, goo-gone, and acetone (nail polish remover), she was finally able to remove it with a magic eraser. It drives us insane when stores make marks directly on the items... I mean, why?!
Well, that's all for this week, but I'm sure that we'll come up with some pretty exciting finds this year (here's hoping!), and we're sure you will, too! Let us know what you think of our single find for this week in the comments, and link up your thrifty purchases below!
Also, in the meantime, remember to enter into our Minted giveaway! Tomorrow is the last day to enter, so jump on that $50 before it's too late!
These blogs also host great link-ups that we join, so make sure you check them out, too: Me and my Shadow, Sir Thrift-A-Lot, a mid century one at Remnant, and new ones at We Call it Junkin and Thrifter Maker Fixer Farm!
Without further ado, a few easy rules for the Nifty Thrifty Link Up:
1. We would love it if you would follow our blog on Google Friend Connect (check the right sidebar), like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and leave a friendly comment :)
2. Only link up recent blog posts that showcase your thrifty finds from the week, including items from yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores, consignment stores, flea markets, and even the side of the road! Thrifty finds that you have restored or updated are fine, but please no unrelated DIY or craft projects (we like those, too, but lets keep this link-up focused on thrifty vintage!).
3. Remember to LINK BACK to this blog - alivingspace - so everyone can join in!
4. Link straight to your individual post, not your whole blog.
5. No links to Etsy shops or other non-blog sites.
Thanks for joining in!