We almost came up empty handed when it came to thrifting this week, and not for a lack of trying either. After multiple trips to all our local Ojai and Ventura thrift stores, we even went and checked out some huge thrift stores in Oxnard we had driven by but never gone into, but still with very little success. It's weird how some weeks you only need to stop in one or two stores to find lots of good stuff, and sometimes it's just not your week. Luckily, at the end of the day on Saturday we did manage to scrape up a few good finds from two of our new favorite Ventura thrift stores.
In the background of this picture are some faux tin tiles in an oil rubbed bronze finish that we are very excited about. You may recall from our kitchen ideas post a couple months ago that we were hoping to cover the ugly tile backsplash behind the sink, and when Chris spotted a box of these large "decorative thermoplastic panels" for $10 at the thrift store, he came up with the genius idea of using them in that space. We just need to cut them down to size and get some strong adhesive tape, and we only need about 1.5 tiles to do the sink backsplash, so we'll have plenty left over to use in other places. Hooray for randomly finding home improvement stuff that we need!
Also featured in this photo are a lovely little $1 milk glass and wood jar that we'll be keeping to use as kitchen storage and a nice little deer antler that I will be using for my latest handmade project (which I posted a little sneak peek of here, but I should be getting some listed on Etsy soon with an accompanying full post with all the deets here).
And finally, the only find of this week that will be getting listed in our Etsy shop is this set of glass apothecary jars with cork stoppers. The middle one has a cool ombre green design on it with illustrations and names of a bunch of different herbs. We have a whole collection of similar but wider jars we use in our kitchen to hold all our tea, so we can vouch for their lovely combination of function and attractiveness!
What do you think of our finds this week? Did you purchase anything interesting? Do you ever have a week where you just can't find anything good no matter how much you look?
These blogs also host great link-ups that we join, so make sure you check them out, too: Me and my Shadow, Sir Thrift-A-Lot, a mid century one at Remnant, and new ones at We Call it Junkin and Thrifter Maker Fixer Farm!
Without further ado, a few easy rules for the Nifty Thrifty Link Up:
1. We would love it if you would follow our blog on Google Friend Connect (check the right sidebar), like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and leave a friendly comment :)
2. Only link up recent blog posts that showcase your thrifty finds from the week, including items from yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores, consignment stores, flea markets, and even the side of the road! Thrifty finds that you have restored or updated are fine, but please no unrelated DIY or craft projects (we like those, too, but lets keep this link-up focused on thrifty vintage!).
3. Remember to LINK BACK to this blog - alivingspace - so everyone can join in!
4. Link straight to your individual post, not your whole blog.
5. No links to Etsy shops or other non-blog sites.
Thanks for joining in!